High School and Middle School Student Academic Coaching Summer Programs
All our group programs are taught by our expert, experienced academic coaches and tutors. We always try our best to schedule programs at convenient times for our students and accommodate requests, so if you have any suggestions please let us know!
All sessions are held at location that is mutually convenient for both the student and the coach.
Group Summer Study Skills Programs
For Middle School and High School Students
Summer is a great time to brush up on important executive function and academic skills students need, but are not taught in school. This one-week study skills program will take place in August so executive function skills are fresh for the new school year. All sessions are interactive and creative. Some areas addressed include:
- Learning Styles: Assessment, Left/Right Brain Assessment, Study Habits Inventory, Interpretation of data
- Focus: Causes/effects of poor focus, creating optimal environment, improving focus in the classroom and at home
- Note Taking and Listening Skills: Cornell method, annotation, visual cues, active listening
- Active Study Strategies: Memorization tricks of the trade, quality over quantity, active over passive studying
- Test Taking Skills/Reducing Test Anxiety: Tips and tricks for smart test taking and techniques to reduce test anxiety
- Organization: Developing and sustaining a system that works, techniques to reduce clutter and minimize materials displacement, backpack organization.
- Time Management: Elimination of time wasters, creating realistic schedules, using technology to track time and increase time awareness
- Self–Advocacy: How to approach teachers in school or by text for extra help and utilizing resources.
- Pre–Planning and Goal Setting: Setting schedules, chunking information, consistently recording homework, setting realistic and attainable goals.
There will be two programs, one for middle school students and one for high school students, both will take place at our main offices in West Hartford, CT.
Nailing Ninth Grade – Entering High School
For Incoming High School Freshman; Small Group Coaching Sessions
The goal of this group workshop is to help students make a smooth and successful transition to high school. By teaching students the academic and life skills, and increased expectations of independence and self-reliance of high school, freshman begin the year strong and feeling confident. Note taking skills, organization and time management, goal setting, and the importance of self-advocacy is addressed.
It is held in the morning before the start of the school year.
Summer Study Skills Camp
For Both Middle School and High School Students; Small Group Coaching Sessions or One-On-One
Using a hands-on interactive approach, this popular academic coaching program focuses on effective study skills based on individual learning styles, organization, note-taking, and time management. It is held in June and at the end of August. The group program is held over the course of 5 days, Monday through Friday 2 hours each day. The one-on-one option is set up according the student’s schedule and is 6 one hour sessions.
Math Mastery Summer Program
One-On-One or Small Group Coaching Sessions
This program focuses on assessment of skills and learning gaps and re-teaching of skills, preview of next academic year foundation skills and practice. The goal is to take the fear out of math and make it accessible to everyone. In addition to strengthening core skills, our expert math tutor helps students make personal connections by illustrating how math impacts everyday life-real world experiences.
For specific dates and times, please class the Academic Coaching Associates office at (860)297-1591 or email email@example.com